Men and women may face a variety of similar issues that lead to engaging in counseling; however, counseling a man versus a woman can be unique from an interpersonal and psychological perspective.
Men face various situations that result in different expectations, communication styles and coping skills than women. They are more frequently defined by their careers, conquests and athleticism than their empathy skills, communication and relational ties. As a result, men express depression, anxiety and anger in ways that are different than expressions of those symptoms in women. It doesn’t mean that one gender is right and the other is wrong; it means we are designed biologically, psychologically and socially different. Counseling a man regarding various issues is not about emasculating him or getting him to act more like a woman, it is about meeting him where he is, allowing him to let down his guard in a safe environment and know that he’s not the only person facing these complicated life issues.
Here are the types of issues for which men may seek counsel:
- Improving communication with a spouse, fiancé or long-term significant other
- Concerns regarding physical intimacy
- Financial pressure if they a breadwinner for their family
- Societal expectations
- Addictions in areas such as alcohol, sex, gambling or workaholism
- Sexual dysfunction
- Single parenting
- Difficulty advancing at work
- Difficulty transitioning to retirement or self-employment
- Job termination and new job searching
- Low self-esteem that can be directly related to any of the problems listed above
If you or a loved one are struggling with one of these areas and not finding yourself returning to “normal” after a few weeks we urge you to consider talking to a professional. Our male therapy specialists have years of clinical experience to help you get to the heart of the issues and make significant progress within a reasonable time.
Call us today to discuss which counselor might be best suited to the particular issue you are dealing with.
Men’s Issues Specialists:
Connect With Us!